Cosmic Girls (Hangul: 우주소녀 Wu Ju So Nyeo; Chinese: 宇宙少女; pinyin: Yǔzhòushàonǚ), also known as WJSN, is a South Korean-Chinese girl group formed by Starship Entertainment and Yuehua Entertainment which debuted in 2016. The group is composed of thirteen members: Seola, Xuan Yi, Bona, Exy, Soobin, Luda, Dawon, Eunseo, Cheng Xiao, Mei Qi, Yeoreum, Dayoung and Yeonjung. The members are separated into four subgroups for each letter in “WJSN”: Wonder, Joy, Sweet, and Natural. The group debuted with the release of their first extended play Would You Like? on February 25, 2016. The agency announced their fanclub name, Ujung (Hangul: 우정, Friendship) on January 11, 2017.
Pre-debut and formation
The first member of Cosmic Girls that was revealed to the public was SeolA, who had made a cameo in Boyfriend’s “Janus” music video in 2012. The second member who was shown to the public was Dayoung, a former contestant on the music audition television show K-Pop Star 1. The third member revealed to the public was Dawon who was also a former contestant on the survival audition K-pop Star 2 and is known to be 15&‘s Park Ji-Min’s friend. The fourth member who was revealed to the public was Exy as a contestant on the South Korean female rap competition Unpretty Rapstar 2. The fifth member revealed to the public was Eunseo who had made a cameo in Monsta X‘s “Rush” music video prior to debut.
On December 1, 2015, Starship Entertainment started to release information about the new girl group through several social media platforms — like Twitter and Instagram — with images of a planet, heart sign and an image of a combined orbit and heart. On December 2, Starship Entertainment continued teasing by posting another teaser photo of a silhouette gazing at an orbited heart sign – this image became WJSN’s official logo. The first unit, the “Wonder Unit” was revealed on December 10, consisting of members Cheng Xiao, Bona, and Dayoung. The second unit called the “Joy Unit” was revealed with members Yeoreum, Eunseo, and Xuan Yi. The third unit called the “Sweet Unit” was revealed on December 24 with members SeolA, Exy, and Soobin. And the final unit, the “Natural Unit” was released on December 31, consisting of members Mei Qi, Luda, and Dawon – revealing them as a group to the public for the first time.
2016: Debut with Would You Like? and The Secret
On January 2, 2016, Xuan Yi, Exy, Dawon, Eunseo, and Cheng Xiao made cameos in UNIQ‘s New Year music video. On January 10, 2016, Starship Entertainment started releasing “Play-File” teasers, with a different member’s teaser released every day. On January 20, 2016, SeolA, Xuan Yi, Bona, Exy, Eunseo, and Cheng Xiao were featured in Cosmopolitan Korea’s February issue in an article entitled “Next Body Icon, Cosmic Girls!”. On February 1, 2016 Eunseo made cameo in Yoo Seung-woo‘s “Whatever” music video along with label mate Boyfriend‘s Jeongmin and Monsta X‘s Kihyun.
Cosmic Girls debuted on February 25, 2016 with the release of their debut mini album Would You Like?, including the title tracks “Mo Mo Mo” and “Catch Me”. The music video for “Mo Mo Mo”, which features Lee Kwang-soo, was released on February 24, and the music video for “Catch Me” was released on March 9. The group held their debut stage on the February 25th episode of M! Countdown with “Catch Me” and “Mo Mo Mo”.
On July 11, Starship Entertainment confirmed that I.O.I‘s Yeonjung would be joining the group. Yeonjung started promoting with the group in August. In August 2016, SeolA, Exy, Soobin, Eunseo, Cheng Xiao, Yeoreum, and Dayoung teamed up with label mate Monsta X to form the unit “Y-Teen.” Y-teen is a project unit group that will be promoting as CF models for KT’s phone fare service, and will release EPs, music videos, and various entertainment content. On August 17, Cosmic Girls released their second mini-album The Secret with all 13 members. The group promoted the title track “Secret”.
2017-present: From. WJSN and official fanclub name
On January 4, Cosmic Girls released their third extended play From. WJSN composed of 6 new songs, including the title track “I Wish” (Hangul: 너에게 닿기를). On January 11, Starship Entertainment unveiled their official fanclub name, Ujung (Hangul: 우정) meaning Friendship. Ujung is also an abbreviation of space station.
- Bona (Hangul: 보나) was born Kim Ji-yeon (Hangul: 김지연) on August 19, 1995 in South Korea. She represents Leo.
- Cheng Xiao (Hangul: 성소 Seongso; Chinese: 程潇) was born on July 15, 1998 in China. She represents Cancer.
- Dayoung (Hangul: 다영) was born Im Da-young (Hangul: 임다영) on May 14, 1999 in South Korea. She represents Taurus.
- Xuan Yi (Hangul: 선의 Seonui; Chinese: 宣仪) was born Wu Xuan Yi (Chinese: 吴宣仪) on January 26, 1995 in China. She represents Aquarius.
- Eunseo (Hangul: 은서) was born Son Ju-yeon (Hangul: 손주연) on May 27, 1998 in South Korea. She represents Gemini.
- Yeoreum (Hangul: 여름) was born Lee Jin-suk (Hangul: 이진숙) on January 10, 1999 in South Korea. She represents Capricorn.
- SeolA (Hangul: 설아) was born Kim Hyun-jung (Hangul: 김현정) on December 24, 1994 in South Korea. She represents Sagittarius.
- Exy (Hangul: 엑시) was born Chu So-jung (Hangul: 추소정) on November 6, 1995 in South Korea. She represents Scorpio and is the group leader.
- Soobin (Hangul: 수빈) was born Park Su-bin (Hangul: 박수빈) on September 14, 1996 in South Korea. She represents Virgo.
- Luda (Hangul: 루다) was born Lee Lu-da (Hangul: 이루다) on March 6, 1997 in South Korea. She represents Pisces.
- Dawon (Hangul: 다원) was born Nam Da-won (Hangul: 남다원) on April 16, 1997 in South Korea. She represents Aries.
- Mei Qi (Hangul: 미기 Migi; Chinese: 美岐) was born Meng Mei Qi (Chinese: 孟美岐) on October 15, 1998 in China. She represents Libra.
- Yeonjung (Hangul: 연정) was born Yu Yeon-jung (Hangul: 유연정) on August 3, 1999 in South Korea. She represents Ophiuchus and is a former I.O.I member.